Aspire Academy, previously known as Confluence Academy-Walnut Park, is in the former Cardinal Ritter Preparatory School. We are located at 5421 Thekla Avenue. The campus opened in 2004 as the second school in the Confluence Academy network.
Aspire Academy educates students in pre-kindergarten through sixth grade. Our school is led by two principals, Angela Carpenter and Leslie Muhammad. Ms. Carpenter is the principal for grades PreK-2; Mrs. Muhammad is the principal for grades 3-6.
Many of our families joined our school when it was known as Confluence Academy-Walnut Park, and continue to choose Aspire Academy for their child's education.
Innovations in education at Aspire Academy include:
- Project-based learning such as hands-on experiences, cooperative learning and investigative learning.
- Increased technology for learning such as one-to-one Chromebooks for students in grades 3-6, and using resources that students have access to at home such as smartphones and computers.
- Special area classes include art, physical education and design-thinking.
- Science will have classroom space and laboratory space.
- Every grade level will use Singapore math curriculum.
- A Makerspace lab for creative learning and exploration.
- Individual education plans for every student to meet the diverse needs of students, as well as academic goals for the state and Confluence. Plans will be developed for general education and special education students.
In March 2015, the Board of Directors of Confluence Charter Schools approved a restructure plan for our school. The plan was developed by school administrators, teachers and the Resource Office, with support from parents. It is a continuation of a plan that was approved by the Board in February 2014 to transition Walnut Park to a K-6 school by 2016-2017.
The revised plan offers a new choice for middle school age students in 2015-2016. The Elite Academy at Confluence Preparatory Academy
is for students in grades 7 and 8 from the former Walnut Park campus. Elite Academy will focus on academics and preparing students to be successful in high school.
A rebranding initiative started in spring 2015 with teachers, staff and parents. Part of the rebranding included innovations in education and choosing a new name to reflect positive changes for the future of our school. Based on parent survey results, Aspire Academy was chosen as the preferred name for our school.
Aspire Academy is a Confluence Charter School.